2a) Write about a place that you would like to share with others, and describe how it became significant to you.
I can still remember myself as a spineless person. I was afraid of heights, afraid of the dark, afraid of punishment, afraid of public speaking. I had no friends as I kept to myself, afraid of opening up and initiating a friendship. However, my gutless self changed for the better in my primary four class outing, at a very special place.
Upon entering “Escape Theme Park”, I was stunned by the spectacular sight. There were gargantuan park attractions and numerous rides; people were everywhere. I sat at a bench near the entrance as I dared not participate in anything.
“Hi! I’m Tom!” exclaimed a boy as he approached me, “Would you join me for some games?” I was pleased about having new company.
Tom brought me to “wet and wild” where we sat in a small boat moving along a rail, traversing slopes. I have always been fascinated by carnival rides. It amazes me that people eagerly trade in the serenity of the ground for the chance to be tossed through the air. We were next in line and my heart was pounding furiously. Engulfed by fear, I stood rooted to the ground upon being called. I encouraged myself, “Come on! You can do it!” but to no avail; my body refused to budge. Tom shoved me onboard and off we went. As the ride gained speed while travelling upslope; the resistance to gravity built up against my body and I was unable to move. An imperceptible pause as the boat reached the peak allowed me to relax for a brief moment. The boat then started descending back towards the earth with increasing acceleration. I felt as though I was falling to my death. “Boom!” the sound of the crash vibrated through the air as we smashed against the shallow waters of the ride. I had never experienced such ecstasy; this experience greatly boosted my confidence. I took other rides without much difficulty and soon it was time to leave.
As we walked, I exclaimed, “I had fun today. Thanks!” Expecting a reply, I turned around, only to find Tom gone. He left without saying goodbye!
Escape Theme Park is the most memorable place I have been to and the one which is most significant to me. From there I met my first and unforgettable friend. From there, I learnt that fear has to be tackled and that there is always a first time for everything. Leaving my safety zone was the only way to overcome my fears. Escaping from fear is a cowardly act; it is the equivalent of giving up on something before even trying. Whenever faced with a challenge, I would recall how Tom and I challenged every ride at Escape Theme Park and the task would seem as easy as “ABC”. Facing all my fears and always seizing the opportunity to try something new, I am no longer the coward I used to be. I now enjoy carnival rides instead of being fearful of them, the thrill and excitement of having survived the rides tempts me for more. I am no longer afraid to initiate conversations and make friends.
Occasionally, I would visit Escape Theme Park with the intention of revisiting my precious memories. Tom was like an angel sent by god, to enlighten me and Escape Theme Park was like heaven, its aura eliminates darkness and fear.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment